register | account recovery | profile | help / abiinfo | search
show today's posts | mark all read
ukraina
tqhq.ee foorum : In English : New here, just saying hello  
Poster Message
TireFire1986
New here, just saying hello
Hey, finally, a great site that knows the truth, horsepower is what you buy, torque is what you drive! Hopefully within a few weeks, I will be lowering a 454 into my 1986 Z28 camaro. I have been working on the motor for a few months. I spent a whole summer working so I could afford a tremic 5 speed transmission that could handle the torque. The transmission cost $2200. Cleaning the block and heads, along with a .030 bore job, and 3 angle valve job cost $400, and the 454 rebuild kit cost about $400. I will be buying an 9 inch rear end housing from http://www.moserengineering.com/ as soon as I save up enough money. My dad has a whole rack of rear end gears for the 9 inch housing, and I bought a detroit locker to go with it.

Maybe with 4.86 gears in the rear, and some good traction, I can pull the front wheels... or put the 2.50 ratio in the rear and hit a top speed of 300 km/hr at 4000 rpm...

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know what I am up to. I would be glad to answer any questions about stuff, but I'm still learning Estonian as a second language ;-)
03.05.2001 at 06:45
jyrki
Hope you have some chassis mods in that car. I believe that with the 4.86 gears, the fifth gear is all you need to fry the tires.
03.05.2001 at 06:58
peep

Guys with BB cars are always welcome here.:)

So you are from States ?

Don't know if you noticed, but one of our members has 3-gen Camaro with 454 in it. It is out of truck, but for this summer it will be hopped up with heads, forged pistons and some other stuff. You can check it out here, if you haven't done it already:
http://www.tqhq.ee/est/cars/lauri.htm

BTW, what are you planning exhaust wise, seems that it's quite big PITA to install headers with this combo ?

Also can you tell regards Tremec - what kind of torque it's supposed to handle and what kind of clutch you will use. Besides my '96 Z28 I have '80 Camaro as project car. It's future recipent of BB and most probably I will go with TH400, but manual tranny is more fun so could be I will change my mind.

[Edited by peep on 03.05.2001 at 08:07 GMT]
03.05.2001 at 08:05
TireFire1986
Sorry its been 3 months since I have gotten this reply in,

I bought a centerforce dual friction 11 inch clutch, seems to work fine. I'm not up to full power, since I have the exhaust running through stock 1976 suburban manifolds into the stock camaro style y pipe and 2.5 inch pipes to the rear.

I am looking at the hooker headers, part number 2226. (This picture is of rather poor quality, but if you turn the brightness up really high, you can see better.)

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/ES/ES_pics/f2226.jpg

but I haven't been able to talk to anyone who has done this before, I would like to know what the y pipe configuration is for this, and whether I have to build it myself, or it is for sale.

I did see the other member with the 454. Looks good! Can someone tell me what kind of exhaust they are using? I thought I saw manifolds in the picture, but I couldn't read the descriptions :(
10.06.2001 at 01:42
partel

quote:
TireFire1986 wrote:
I did see the other member with the 454. Looks good! Can someone tell me what kind of exhaust they are using? I thought I saw manifolds in the picture, but I couldn't read the descriptions :(

That pic is out of date (there are stock manifolds). Now the exh is Hooker Super Comp headers + FlowTech Purple Hornies free flow mufflers. Not too loud powerful sound! :)
11.06.2001 at 08:32
peep

As said above he uses Hooker headers and actually he just installed them three day ago. Had to do some cutting, beating for clearancing and also he modified motor mounting brackets, made holes larger, so that engine is sitting lower right now and exhaust doesn't interfere with front suspension. Finally it worked out pretty good.

He don't run y-pipe at the moment, just bolted on two glasspack mufflers to the headers. But this setup is definetly too loud for street use so fabricating y-pipe is must, if you want to drive your car on the street more often that once a week.
11.06.2001 at 09:26
tqhq.ee foorum : In English : New here, just saying hello  
Account recovery

muskelautod | kiirendusvõistlused | tehnika | üritused | autoesitlused | foorum | sõnastik | kalkulaatorid
tqhq'st | sisukaart | e-mail
© tqhq.ee 2000 - 2024. Loe meie materjalide linkimisest ja kopeerimisest.